Opening of Application. Monday, October 25, 2021.
Closing of Application: Sunday, December 5, 2021
The Application will be found at the bottom of this page.
Questions about the IOP? Please email: Foundation@CNS.org
Selection of the Candidate: Late Fall 2021
Start of IOP in USA: Spring 2022
Scholarship Award: The recipient will participate in a highly curated series of general neurosurgery educational opportunities over three months. The award includes:
- Weekly course work at the Harvard Global Health Institute
- In-person clinical training with Dr. Brian V. Nahed and team
- $20,000 award for living and travel and all expenses related to IOP
- 12 weeks, in-person experience in Boston, Massachusetts
Requirements for Application:
- Open to faculty and chief residents/fellows
- Must speak conversational English
- Must apply on CNSF website via portal managed by CNSF staff
- Not available to United States citizens and foreign nationals residing in United States within twelve (12) months of application window.
- Open to applicants worldwide; priority given to applicants currently residing in Low- and Middle-Income Countries as defined by the World Bank.
Curriculum and Obligations:
- Weekly lecture series at Harvard’s Program in Global Surgery and Social Change
- Research capacity training through the Journal of Global Neurosurgery
- Program development opportunities through Harvard’s Global Neurosurgery Initiative, G4 Alliance, World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies, Neurosurgery Outreach Foundation, and World Health Organization
- Introduction to biostatistics course through Harvard Catalyst
- Anti-colonialism and Anti-discrimination workshops
- Public health and advocacy training through the Harvard Center for Surgery and Public Health
- Provide a written report about the Harvard-Massachusetts General Neurosurgery International Observership Program experience to the Board of the CNS Foundation for publication by sending to the Manager of the CNS Foundation. (Foundation@CNS.org). This written report must first be submitted for review and approval to Dr. Brian Nahed.
- Submit an abstract for the 2022 CNS Annual Meeting. The CNS and the CNS Foundation reserve first right for publication regarding this observership award. Please submit to the CNS and CNS Foundation prior to submission to alternative meetings and organizational publications.